The Run Where Tech Went Wrong

I was the Run Director at parkrun this week. I’d like to say it went off without event but that wouldn’t be true. I won’t go in to too much detail but I had to handle a volatile situation and that kinda thing is pretty scary! Other than that though it was a great experience yet again being an RD. We had a whopper turn out – 470 runners! I meant to try a run Saturday afternoon but chose to nap instead.

Thanks to Peter Stoddard for snapping this picture

Sunday morning I was off to volunteer at junior parkrun. I decided I’d get there a little early and go for a trial run. I say trial because I needed too test my knee that had been really sore (more here) I took my kindle in the car just in case I needed to stop and then would have time to kill. Anyway I got to Stokes Bay just before 8am. My plan being a 2 mile run if my knee was ok and that takes me about half an hour so I’d be back in time to volunteer.

So I get myself ready, opened the Strava app on my watch…and it didn’t work. It said I needed to open the app on my phone. I opened the app on my phone…and nothing happened. My app on my watch still wouldn’t work. No worries I thought I’ll just start Strava on my phone when I’ve completed my warm up. Once I’d done that I opened Strava on my phone and set it going. But then I wasn’t sure what to do, do I wait for the screen to lock itself or should I just lock it? Will the app still work if I just lock it? I decided to chance it and lock the phone thinking I’d check on it after a short while.

I set off running up the prom but as I got towards the end instead of turning round I decided to head on the grassy/gravel paths towards Fort Gilkicker as a couple of people had told me this would help strengthen my knees and ankles. Jeez, no one told me how hard it is to run on grass. It was hard going but I got to Gilkicker (approx half a mile) and thought I’d turn here as they’re doing some work and I wasn’t sure if you could get all the way around it. As I turned I took a walk break so thought I’d check how Strava was going on my phone. My phone was dead. It showed the lock screen but wouldn’t let me swipe up to unlock it. I tried switching it off but it wouldn’t even let me do that. So instead I started the apple fitness app on my watch.

Now I was going to have to start again with the two miles because I’m a fussy person and didn’t want to leave it at 1.5 miles knowing I’d probably run half a mile already. I struggled again over the grass and gravel but once I got back on to the prom I found my rhythm and ran. I took very few walk breaks which I was pleased about. As I turned around to make my way back to where the volunteers meet I got a couple of beeps from cars which were the volunteers starting to arrive. As I continued my way back I saw them setting up but guess what?! I was only at 1.9 miles! Imagine my embarrassment when I had to run past them shouting “I’ve misjudged! I need to run another 0.1!” Luckily they laughed and told me they’d see me in a minute.

When I finished I popped in to the toilets and then afterwards thought I’d see if I could fix my phone as I walked back to the car to put some warm clothes on. My phone worked straight away this time! And Strava was still running! I wish I’d checked it as soon as I’d finished as I’d have stopped it at the right time but hey ho. At least my phone isn’t completely broken which was a fear on my mind. Anyway it turns out I ran 2 and a half miles after all.

Thanks to Eileen Bartlett who snapped this picture of Penny and I chatting right after my run

Now I’ve had time to recover, everything feels fine. No knee pain, just the usual Achilles niggle, which I always seem to have. So, that means I’m all set to go to the beginners group at my run club again! Fingers crossed I don’t break on week 2 like I did last time.

Tagged ,

2 thoughts on “The Run Where Tech Went Wrong

  1. Being RD at parkrun always looks a bit stressful- well done for getting through the situation and with that many runners too!
    And nice work on the run- I think a lot of runners like to round up to the next mile so all the junior parkrun peeps would understand!

    • bigmugofteablog says:

      It’s not usually that stressful but being shouted at has happened a couple of times, although swearing isn’t usually involved!
      My junior parkrun friends were very understanding haha

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *